Sunday, October 3, 2010

Bali!

Four days was all I dared spend in Bali. Students would be back from the Lebaran holiday the following week, no planning was done, and my conservative hosts thought the whole idea of somebody actually going to Bali on purpose was just hilarious. I don't regret going at all, since most of my time there was spent with my new friends and colleagues, but a little background might be in order...

Bali is the exception to many of Indonesia's rules. It is a predominantly Hindu island in the middle of this Muslim archipelago, and has a well-deserved reputation for Hindus allowing Western visitors to do many things that would simply not be permitted to happen in Muslim communities. Use your imagination, or Google "Bali" without a filter, and you'll understand quickly :) I found myself thinking a lot about how other visitors from Alabama might react to Balinese culture, and learned from a tour guide that this isn't a matter for pure speculation. He called out the names of several Alabamians who had passed through his village, including a group from Birmingham.

I didn't have any of the theological concerns about demonic activity that might cause other Bible Belt Americans fear or discomfort around the temples and images. But the vibe I kept getting, while not evil, felt like "other than," which is a step beyond simply being unfamiliar.


Truth: Balinese Hindus are fine human beings, and their humanity manifests itself in every way that people in Alabama expect from their own families, friends, and neighbors.


Simultaneous Truth: If you tell me that a mountain is sacred, then tell me that animals are sacrificed to it by pushing them over the rim into its volcanic crater, as your faith calls for blood sacrifice, I will unavoidably feel the need to conclude that while you will reach the One who created us both by way of the same path I will, you are
looking down a path I couldn't have walked in a million years. Literally. But more later on my own religious minority status back home - much later :)

Bali...not a Muslim sort of place...








I didn't see much of the island's beautiful beaches, but instead spent my four days with my friends in Ubud, a popular destination for art-lovers worldwide. There are carpenters, painters, stone carvers, musicians, and others with galleries, stalls, and workshops lining both sides of every street in Ubud, and the roads leading out of town, too. Ubud is recognized as Bali's cultural capital, and while I didn't learn as much about Balinese culture and language as I would like to, I wouldn't have missed it and I'll probably go back... Balinese architecture follows a basic theme of orange, earthen brick trimmed in grayish, carved stonework.

Some examples....
















One feature of Balinese culture not to be missed is the
kecak dance, performed in temples for worshipers and outdoors for the tourists...




























And...ahem, for the record, ladies, I do disagree with the rules for temple visiting concerning those five or so special days each month set forth here, but as a non-Hindu, I don't get a vote :(

















Kecak promotional materials reminded us how much English teachers are needed...








Kecak clip...


1 comment:

  1. Awesome sentiment about religion Cary. Truly profound.

    ReplyDelete