Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Buy a Statue, Escape With Your Life - Maybe

There are also examples in Bali of persons who are not willing to keep it low key and are far too aggressive in chasing after Western tourist dollars. On our return trip from the excursion to Mt. Batur, our guide asked whether or not we might be too tired to see the rice farming community where he grew up, including the well-known Rice Terraces of Ubud. They have a brilliant green beauty that has been photographed by many professional photographers down through the years, and captured far more effectively than I could ever capture it. In the pictures below, you will understand why, but not before I explain how psycho some souvenir peddlers can be....

This guy was smiling, as he agreed to allow his picture to be taken. But I couldn't buy one carved statue from him while stopped at the rice terraces to take pictures, I had to buy two. But I only wanted one. Once settled, I thought, we'd shake on it and make an exchange. I guess I'm just a rube from Alabama, because my willingness to buy did not complete the transaction, but signaled him to call his friends over to sell their items, as well. One lady would not stop, and had an kind of spinning, other-worldly delusional affect deep in her eyes that was quite scary. I couldn't buy the tablecloth to escape, I had to take the carved box, too, "because I have no money, sir, because I have no money." Think about the last time you told someone a story and used the phrase "she just kept on." Then, multiply times ten. The guide told the others in our party when he saw the crowd gathered around me, "that guy is in trouble, I think you need to go down there." Uh-oh.

As it turned out, I did escape, so that we could photograph the rice terraces. She did not assault me, place a curse on me, turn me into a monkey, or perform any other additional hostile acts - real or esoteric. Well, as far as I know...

No comments:

Post a Comment